Charred Caprese Sir Sardine Feast
All the way from Utah, Mallory Ubbelohde creates a mouth-watering Sir Sardine Tomato feast – adapting from the ever so splendid recipes from Bon Appétit Magazine.
1 can of Sir Sardine
2 teaspoons of mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1 large shallot, thinly sliced into rings
1 garlic clove, finely grated
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ baguette, split in half lengthwise
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 cups cherry tomatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (packed) torn basil leaves
½ cup (loosely packed) parsley leaves with tender stems
½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
Crushed red pepper flakes (for serving)
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice in a small bowl; season with salt.
- Toss shallot, garlic, and vinegar in another small bowl; season with salt. Let sit 10 minutes. Drain, reserving shallots and vinegar separately in small bowls.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Brush cut sides of bread with 2 Tbsp. oil total and grill until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. (Or broil bread halves, cut side up, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes.) Season with salt; let cool.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high (you can do this directly on the grill grates or on a burner). Toss tomatoes with remaining 2 Tbsp. oil and cook, shaking pan often, until tomatoes are blistered and lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and Sir Sardine with the olive oil from the can to bowl; season with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly, then add basil, parsley, and lemon zest and toss gently to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread both halves of baguette with mayonnaise mixture. Top with mozzarella, Sir Sardine tomato salad, and shallots, and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Enjoy!